A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Remembering my Dad This Father's Day!

"This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it!" (Psalm 118:24)

I remember my Dad repeating this verse (had to be in the KJV of course!) numerous times when I was growing up. To be honest, at the time it really got on my nerves when he would say it over and over and over, especially if I was in a bad mood at the time! Looking back I am thankful that my Dad served the Lord and taught me Christian morals and values. So on Father's Day this year, I am going to take my Dad's advice and remember that the Lord made this day and I will do my best to rejoice and be glad in it. So many Father's Day's (this is the 9th Father's Day since Dad went home to heaven) I kind of get into a pity party of sorts because most people are with their Dad's, or can at least call them or send them a card. Sometimes I am tempted to feel jipped out of not having an earthly Father. But you know what, that's exactly how Satan wants me to feel. So then I remember that my heavenly Father has blessed me beyond measure and loves me unconditionally! He does everything with my best interest at heart. I am thankful that I have the confidence of knowing my Dad is with Jesus, and will never again be sad or be in pain. I look forward to the day when I can meet my Heavenly Father and be reunited with my earthly Father. Until then, I will do my best to enjoy each day I am given here on earth!

I miss you Dad and I love you!

Enjoy the pics below of me with my Dad and my family! One of my Roomie's told me they are old! I told her that I am old! I am 7 1/2 years older than she is! These pictures do date me, but that is ok! :) These pics and the memories that go with them will forever be a part of who I am.

After the pics, I have added a few more "Father's Day" things for your reading pleasure.

Happy Father's Day! :)


My family and I at a wedding.









Dad and I on a Ride at Enchanted Forest.










Dad holding his first Grandchild (Trey). Trey was 5 when Dad passed away, he is now 13 1/2. Dad now has 2 Granddaughters and another Grandson who he didn't get the opportunity to meet.






I was Mom & Dad's firstborn. I was 5 months old in this picture, so this picture could very well have been taken on Father's Day in 1974.








"Dad, I want some cake!" Look at how I'm eyeing up the food on his plate! See, even then I loved food! :)











Dad gave us "pony rides"!

I was a "Daddy's Girl"!


This is Cute. The Author is Unknown.

4 years: My Daddy can do anything!
7 years: My Dad knows a lot…a whole lot.
8 years: My father does not know quite everything.
12 years: Oh well, naturally Father does not know that either.
14 years: Oh, Father? He is hopelessly old-fashioned.
21 years: Oh, that man-he is out of date!
25 years: He knows a little bit about it, but not much.
(I was 25, almost 26 when Dad died. Our relationship was much better than it had been, but I still had some growing up to do)
30 years: I must find out what Dad thinks about it.
35 years: Before we decide, we will get Dad's idea first.
50 years: What would Dad have thought about that?
60 years: My Dad knew literally everything!
65 years: I wish I could talk it over with Dad once more.


"I Have a Place in Heaven"
Please don't sing sad songs for me,
Forget your grief and fears,
For I am in a perfect place,
Away from pain and tears.
I'm far away from hunger
And hurt and want and pride,
I have a place in Heaven
With the Master at my side
My life on earth was very good,
As earthly lives can go,
But Paradise is so much more
Than anyone can know.
My heart is filled with happiness
And sweet rejoicing, too.
To walk with God is perfect peace,
A joy forever new.

3 comments:

caryn said...

Jen - your right about how satan wants you to feel! By getting that out in the light you can then go ahead and enjoy the memories of your dad - like you did with the awesome pics - I can say that since I was born in the late sixties and most of my childhood pics look similar - the 70's were a great time. I know these holidays are tough it has only been 3 months since my dad died:(

Very Sleepy Girl said...

thanks for sharing these pictures and memories!

Anonymous said...

what neat family photos! treasured memories, I am sure!