A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Monday, June 23, 2008

Joy



Joy and I have been friends since day 1 of Freshman year in College. She lived right across the hall from me! We both LOVED the song "Walking On Broken Glass"! I can't even remember who sang that song (besides for us)! :) Joy only went to my College for our Freshman year. She then transferred to South Dakota State University and became a Dietitian. I've known her for 16 years this August. We have had a "Long Distance" relationship for the majority of that time! I visited Joy when she lived in Richmond VA and was dating Michael, who was doing his residency in Richmond. Joy & Michael got married in 1999. They moved back to WI not long before I moved out to Denver, CO in 2001. I was only there for 7 months. Joy & Mike and their 3 children (Isaiah-8, Matthea-4, & Brooklyn, 1 1/2) live in Oconomowoc, WI, a western outer suburb of Milwaukee. I miss our "coffee dates", which we would have every few months or so when I lived there. Now they are all the more special! I probably hadn't seen Joy in a year. We planned to meet this past Sunday when I was in Milwaukee. If she had the kids, we were going to meet at the zoo or a park or some place that was kid friendly, and if she didn't have the kids, we planned to meet for coffee. Either way, I just wanted to see her. Well, Michael stayed with the kids and Joy and I met at Starbucks and chatted for an hour and a half. It was quality time and I really enjoyed it! I know she appreciated the break and the "girl time"! I took one of the pics of us above, then realized it would make much more sense for the taller person to take the pic! :) Joy has a contagious "joyful" presence about her, which is just one of the many things I love about her. She has a deep desire to introduce others to Jesus and has been extremely active (that's an understatement) as a volunteer, leading the Teen Ministry at her Church for the past 7 years. She recently made a difficult decision to step down from that position for the good of her family. Joy loves people! I love people! So you can imagine that we instantly hit it off. I thank God that he brought us together Freshman year! I look forward to our next "coffee date"!