Today, we heard the news that we have prayed so hard that we wouldn't hear after surgery. The MRI showed that the findings from the PET scan was indeed a reoccurrence of cancer in his peritoneum. The "nodule" is about 2 cm. It is located just above his bladder in his pelvis.
Dr. Mogal is a surgeon at Froedtert that we met in August 2017 after Scott's hospital stay for a bowel obstruction. He feels comfortable doing the surgery to remove this cancer.
We have decisions to make, but we think he will start chemo at the end of January. He would probably do a couple rounds of 5 day chemo, with a break between cycles and then a 3 week break before surgery. Nothing is set in stone until we meet with the surgeon next week to discuss everything.
This is not the news we were hoping to hear, but God will continue to be with us in this fight.
Unfortunately, we didn't get to go visit with Karen tonight. She was having a rough day, and Gary suggested we bring the kids to see her another day. We only got 2 minutes down the road when he texted me. We were sad to have to turn around, but we continue to pray for Karen's healing, comfort and peace.
We trust in God's plan. We don't always understand his ways or like them, but God is good ALL of the time!
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord. Psalm 31:24
The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him. Nahum 1:7
I'll start off by saying that his labs looked amazing! All of his counts were right where they should be!
The good news is that the uptake to the liver tumors has actually decreased since his last scan 3 months ago. Dr. Charlson said that you normally don't see this happening this far into a cancer diagnosis, especially since he's been out of treatment. God is so amazing and faithful!
Now for the questionable part:
An area in Scott's pelvis lit up on the MRI. No mass was seen though, which is good.
We walk away today with an MRI scheduled for next Monday to get a better look at this area. We will get results next Wednesday.
We have another week of waiting now, but we truly feel much better. We're not out of the woods for starting chemo again though. We'll just have to wait and see.
I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers throughout this entire time!