I hope you all had a very blessed Thanksgiving! Ours was wonderful! We got to spend it with loved ones, and were blessed with a 60 degree sunny day! Happy Holidays from our Family to yours!
Friday, November 23, 2012
Monday, November 19, 2012
|J & J - 7/8/2011 - Clearwater Beach, FL|
Those of you who know me, know that I am a numbers girl! I love dates and numbers! Well, today we have been married for 500 days! In my opinion, that is blog worthy for sure! :) I also find it interesting that our first date was 1,137 days ago. We have almost been married for half of the time we have been together!
Looking back, we realize that our 1st year of marriage was a breeze! We are thankful that we could just be Newlyweds for a year and not have any other major life events happen during that year of adjustment. Marriage is an adjustment (especially for those of us who have been single well into our 30's.), but it is a happy adjustment. Change is hard, but good change is MUCH easier than the changes the past few months have brought us.
We are learning more now about some of the "worse" parts of our "for better or worse" vows. Life has been anything BUT easy for us the past 2 months. The things we are dealing with, most people wouldn't expect to have to deal with until well into their 40's, 50's and even 60's. Jonathan's Dad is only 67, but he has had Stage IV lung cancer for 2 years and 3 months. He also has COPD. My Mom is only 60, but has been battling cancer for almost 13 years now. Emotionally, that's a lot for us to handle in and of itself. But it's not just dealing with the emotional part of it. We had to put Jonathan's Dad in a nursing home and Jonathan is now the Power of Attorney for his Dad. We are his only weekly/twice a week visitors and the nursing home is 30 minutes away from us. We both work full time outside the home. We may not have children, but we (especially Jonathan) do have a LOT of responsibility! Jonathan has learned A LOT (more than he ever thought he would have to know at age 37) about Medicaid, Medicare, Nursing Homes, Cemeteries, Funeral Insurance, FMLA, etc, the past few months.
This has been a very stressful time for us. We have been flying by the seat of our pants. Uncertainty is hard to deal with. While we don't know what the future holds, we do know that God has been with us every step of the way, and will continue to give us His strength. He saw to it that Keith was approved for Medicaid the FIRST time, and for that we are very thankful! Jonathan has said he wants to use the knowledge he has gained to help friends when/if they have to go thru this stuff with their aging parents.
Jonathan and I are extremely grateful that we have each other during this dreary time in our lives. I think overall we are doing as well as we can be doing given the circumstances. Things have settled down a little bit now that Keith has been approved for Medicaid. We are looking forward to 3 nights away for my Birthday after the New Year!
This Thanksgiving, I am thankful that Keith has accepted Jesus. I'm also thankful that Jonathan is my Husband and that we are a team...for better or for worse. I'm thankful that we are blessed to spend another Thanksgiving with my Mom and with Jonathan's Dad. Life is short, but life is precious. We are learning to live in the moment. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow.
We know this too shall pass, but for now, we cling to Jesus and to each other.
Our Marriage verse was "God sets the lonely in families". We may feel weary and overwhelmed, but we are not lonely.
Thank you Lord for my 500th day of being married to the love of my life. I waited and waited, but you were faithful, as always!
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Savor every minute you are blessed to have with your loved ones this Holiday Season! :)
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
- My husband and I need a break from life.
- It's been 7 weeks today since Jonathan's Dad went into the hospital and J started the process of becoming POA for his Dad, which changed our lives dramatically.
- I will never again say "this is a piece of cake compared to what I went thru alone as a single person". As soon as I said that, God started to challenge us!
- I hate the end of daylight saving time.
- I hate these short days.
- I know that I start to feel better after the New Year starts.
- Only 36 more days till we start to gain daylight instead of losing it.
- I am thankful that my my mammogram came back normal!
- I'm thankful Jonathan's Dad was approved for Medicaid.
- I HATE cancer. I hate what it does to my Mom and I hate what it is doing to my FIL.
- I can't believe December 8th it will have been 13 years since my Dad passed away.
- I got an email from parents.com informing me my baby is the size of a cantaloupe at 21 weeks.....UMMM.....Really??? Do they know something I don't? Our plate is already quite full!
- It's a challenge to stay positive when there is so much negative going on in the lives of those we love.
- I know God has a plan and will work things out for the good of those who love Him, but it doesn't mean we don't get weary, stressed, and sad.
- Speaking of SAD, I hate Seasonal Affective Disorder and what it does to me.
- There will always be people who have things "easier" than you, and there will always be people who have things "much harder" than you.
- Sometimes life just sucks and is incredibly overwhelming.
- My Vitamin D levels were great, much to my surprise!
- We are both looking forward to having 4 very much needed days off in a row for Thanksgiving! Only 5 more days of work for me and 6 more days of work for Jonathan.
- We plan to treasure time with loved ones over the Holidays. Life is short and we need to savor the memories.
Saturday, November 3, 2012
November 3rd, 1940 Herbert William Latzke, who would later be my Dad, was born in Eagle River, WI. Yep, he would have been 72 years old today! He spent 59 years on this earth and passed away on December 8th, 1999. So much has changed since then, in the world, and in our family.
November 3rd, 1999 (Dad's 59th Birthday):
- I was 25 years old.
- I was living in Cudahy, WI.
- I called you to wish you a Happy Birthday.
- I was working 2nd shift and overnights, with at-risk teens, at Calvary Academy in South Milwaukee, WI.
- I was single and thought I'd never get married.
- My Nephew Trey (Dad's only Grandchild at the time) was 5 years old
- Bill Clinton was President of the United States.
- We couldn't have comprehended that less than 2 years later, 9-11 would terrorize our Nation.
- Mom was cancer free.
November 3rd, 2012 (Dad's 13th Birthday in Heaven):
- I am 38 years old (yet somehow I haven't aged one bit!)
- I have been living back in South Bend, IN for 5.5 years (Yes, I know I said I'd NEVER move back to South Bend! I am older and wiser and have learned to never say never!)
- I can't call you to wish you a Happy Birthday, but I will be thinking of you all day.
- I have been working at an Insurance Company for 4.5 years.
- I have been married to an Amazing man named Jonathan for 16 months.
- My Nephew Trey (Dad's 1st Grandson) is now 18 years old! There are now 4 more Grandchildren that Dad never got the chance to meet. No, I did not have quadruplets! LOL :) Lexi will be 10 tomorrow, Hannah is 8, Tyler is 6 and Myles just turned 3.
- Barack Obama is President of the United States. The Presidential election is in 3 days and I cannot wait for it to be over!
- We are living in a post 9-11 world, and the world seems to be getting more and more violent.
- Mom has been battling cancer since 2 months after you passed away (February, 2000)
Life has changed since you went home to heaven Dad, in wonderful ways, and in some not so wonderful ways. But one thing that won't change, is that I will always love you and miss you!
Happy 72nd Birthday Dad! See you soon!