On December 29th, 2011 I mentioned on Facebook that I would be starting The J-La-Sta 10,000 Steps Walking Challenge. I also mentioned that I would be posting a blog shortly regarding the details. This is that blog! :) I am SO excited to start this Challenge and to have you join me in this Challenge! I believe that if we have others to be accountable to and hold each other accountable, we are more likely to succeed. Even if you only take 10 steps more tomorrow than you did today, that is a Success! I know how overwhelming the number "10,000" sounds! I've been thinking about when this challenge would start and I've finally come up with a date. That date is Sunday, January 8th, 2012. Why January 8th? Well, you see, I wanted to give you all enough time to get a pedometer if you didn't already have one, and a chance to start walking for a few days to see how many steps you walk in a typical day. January 8th is 10 days from when I first mentioned this challenge and it is 5 days from the posting of this blog. So, you have 5 days to get your Pedometer and to start walking before the challenge starts. The 2nd reason I chose January 8th as the start date is that I have gained weight since I got married 6 months ago (July 8th, 2011). I want to lose weight for the 2nd 6 months of my Marriage! :)
Here are some important things to remember if you are considering taking part in this challenge:
- The challenge will go for 12 weeks to get us thru the winter months. The challenge will end on Saturday, March 31st, 2012.
- You do not need to start at 10,000 steps a day! If you haven't been physically active, this would be a very bad idea! You need to work up to 10,000 steps a day. For example, when I started approximately 3 weeks ago, I started at 6,000ish steps. I am now up to 7,000-8,000ish steps per day. I am gradually working toward 10,000 steps a day. Before I started walking I bet I was doing 3,000 steps or less per day. Once I get to 10,000 steps per day on a regular basis, I'm sure I will have some bad days. We are all human. That's OK! Just start again the next day!
- The Pedometer I currently own has proven to be my best one yet! I have owned it for 4 weeks now and it is still working. It doesn't give extra steps while using the restroom, and it doesn't make the annoying clicking noises. If this Pedometer is not in your Budget, that's ok too, any Pedometer is better than no Pedometer! I promise you my steps have increased just from wearing a Pedometer! I'm such a numbers gal, and anal too! Here is the link for the Pedometer I have: J-La-Sta's Pedometer. Here is a picture of it. I even get to wear it around my neck! Have I mentioned that I LOVE my new Pedometer?! :) It even keeps the past 7 days steps in it's memory.
- You may say, "This weather is horrible (if you live anywhere near the Midwest!), it is too cold and there is too much snow!". In that case, can you find somewhere indoors to walk, ie, a mall? I have been walking on a 100 step walking path in the basement at work on all of my breaks. As my Dad frequently quoted my Grandma, "Where there is a will, there is a way!".
- You can track your steps on the following website: http://www.10000steps.org.au/. It takes 2 minutes to set up an account and the website is super user friendly. If you FB message me with your personal email address after you have created an account with thatemail address, I can add you to the team. We can see each others daily steps and therefore can cheer each other on and encourage each other! :) Please remember they are in Australia, so they are already on the next day when you may be tracking your steps in the evening. They also list the day before the month when listing the dates, whereas we list the month first and then the day.
- I promise to encourage you to succeed! Any step toward taking better care of ourselves is a step in the right direction. Look at it this way, even if you only end up doing an average of 7,500 steps a day, I would bet that is more steps than you are taking on a daily basis today.
- If you are anything like me and are currently experiencing the post holiday/winter blues, getting moving can help with depression!
- I will be thinking of a small prize for the the person who walks the most steps between January 8th and March 31st. There will also be a 1st runner up for The J-La-Sta 10,000 Steps Challenge. If that winner or 1st runner up is me, I will still get myself a prize! :)
Please let me know if you would like to be a part of this challenge! I will be happy to answer any questions you may have!
Looking forward to "walking with you" as we accomplish our health and/or weight loss goals! :)
Here's to a Happy and Healthy 2012!