A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Friday, April 3, 2009

Lower Extremity Edema

Ok, so I know my feet are not attractive to begin with, in fact, they are the least favorite part of my body. However, I am blessed to have them. They get me where I need to go! :) These pics give you an idea of the symptoms I have been experiencing. The proper medical term for this is "Lower Extremity Edema". What is causing the lower extremity edema? This is the Million Dollar Question! :) I've been dealing with these swollen feet/ankles for well over 6 weeks. Five weeks ago when I first went to the Dr. he (as a good Dr. should) had me get a chest x-ray and tons of blood work done. $995.00 worth of tests to be exact! Thank God for health insurance..and I seriously mean that! The good news is that
everything came back normal. So, the Dr. gave me a water pill and I was good to go..or so I thought! The water pill did work for 2 weeks, if that, and then the extreme swelling came back. So, this past Wednesday I went back to the Dr. I also showed him the pictures I had taken. He said my pictures serve as good documentation! He was completely baffled as to what's causing this. I'm thankful he admitted that he didn't know what else to do. He said if I were 80, he would think it was a symptom of congestive heart failure, but he said I'm a healthy 35 year old woman. He also said it's strange that this is happening in both of my feet/ankles. My Dr. referred me to an Internal Medicine Dr. My first appointment with the IM Dr. will be on April 17th. So I have 2 more weeks to wait. I told my Dr. the first time that I am a Medical Mystery! :) I think he believes me now! LOL Please don't ask me if I have too much salt in my diet! That will make me want to scream! Trust me, I've heard it all! I know people mean well, but seriously..do these feet/ankles look "normal" to you??? My Dr. assured me that this is more than just too much salt intake! So, I'll just have to be patient and hope and pray that I will get some answers in the next month or so. All I know is that I can only wear the same 2 pairs of shoes, and that I am extremely fatigued. I would appreciate your prayers over the next few weeks that the IM Dr. can get to the root cause of the problem, and that hopefully someday soon, I will be able to see that I do in fact have ankles! :) Thank you! :)





2 comments:

Very Sleepy Girl said...

You poor dear! :( Praying for answers!

PS, Way to photodocument! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
you are on the same planet as me. When it's glaringly obvious that something is wrong, doctors for some reason don't want to admit the 3 little words: "I DON"T KNOW"
Even better would be: "LET'S FIND OUT"
4 years ago, at 55, I presented as a fit, active specimen, but with chest pains while playing squash. MOST reluctantly, after MONTHS of pestering, I was set for an angiogram. Result: 99% blockage of the main coronary artery. I felt good for 6 months after the operation. Now I feel like Krapp. Have done for 3.5 years. And they are still saying "shup and take your pills".
Slow Learners.
Not in all the time I have been under "care" has even 1 medico wondered WHY I have high blood pressure and cholersterol: just here's some pills,take them. No idea WHY I have those problems, no enquiry as to why/how, just "shutup and take the pills". Well, the pills might mask the symptoms, but they surely don't treat the cause.
When they tell you to do (anything), ask WHY?. If the answer includes they word "statistics", be VERY careful. Ask for a rational scientific argument, that does NOT include "statictics". That is the easy way out.
Make them find out WHAT IS ACTUALLY WRONG, not just treat the symptoms.
Beat wishes,
and I am now not well, and going through the same endless loop.
Good luck, nil desperandum illegitimus carborundum. Resist 6 minute medicine!