A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Monday, May 25, 2009

Advantages & Disadvantages of Singleness

I was just thinking that I haven't blogged about singleness in quite a while. Although I want a diverse audience I would also like to use this blog as a ministry to other singles. Like all stages/phases of life, singleness has it's advantages and disadvantages. On Facebook and Twitter I hear a lot about the joys and trials of parenting. Singleness also has it's joys and trials. While I was cleaning yesterday, I found a little booklet on "Singleness; The Misunderstood World of Single Adults". There are many good things in this booklet. One part I found interesting is the part where they talk about 1,300 Christian single adults being asked about the advantages and disadvantages of singles. They indicated that the following advantages of singleness, in order, were:

Women

1. Mobility and freedom
2. Time for interests
3. Social life in general
4. Privacy

Men

1. Mobility and freedom
2. Time for interests
3. Privacy
4. Social life in general

The disadvantages of being single were:

Women

1. Loneliness
2. Financial Insecurity
3. Self-centeredness
4. Restrictions on sex life

Men

1. Loneliness
2. Restrictions on sex life
3. Self-centeredness
4. The dating grind

I would tend to agree with these (at least from the female perspective of singleness). I love my mobility and freedom, and especially love my social life! I am blessed with many friends from many ages and stages of life! The four disadvantages to singleness are things I definitely struggle with. Even with all of the friends I have, there are many times when I get lonely, especially over long weekends such as this one where I didn't plan anything ahead of time. I also find that the financial insecurity aspect of being single frustrates me sometimes (I have gotten much better at handling my God given money). If I lose my job there is no one to fall back on. I am it, no financial security for me. At the same time that can be an advantage...if I lose my job, there are no little mouths to have to feed either! My heart goes out to all of you single mom's. I seriously don't know how you do it!

Here are some awesome key quotes from the booklet:

The only true guarantee of happiness has little to do with marriage or singleness and everything to do with being obedient to the will of God.

A lot of singles yearn to be married; a lot of marrieds wish they were single again.

Godliness with contentment is great gain.
I Timothy 6:6

Whatever your age or stage in life, I pray that you find contentment in Christ Alone and I also pray that He will grant you the desires of your heart!

Taken from RBC Ministries Booklet written by Dave Egner

3 comments:

Sue said...

I completely understand what you mean in your post, Jen as I was 30 when I got married (which 15 years ago was "old" compared to all my friends and family). Now, even though married, many of those same struggles I deal with as a barren woman. Infertility, like singleness has both it's advantages and disadvantages. The same can be said for widow/widowers too. I think any time we are "different" from the norm there can be both good sides and bad sides, but we must choose to focus on the good because God has chosen the path we're on and He never makes mistakes ;-) Besides, if we focus too much on the disadvantages we only hurt ourselves ;-)

Blessings to you Sweetie
Hugs

Very Sleepy Girl said...

GREAT post, Jen! Thanks for sharing!!

The Relationship Company said...

Keep blogging! Do you have anymore articles similar to this?