A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Excellent Devotion by Nancy Leigh DeMoss

Jealousy and Singleness

Although I have often found myself thinking, "When will it be me"? I can't say that I often get jealous of my friends who get married. I'm genuinely happy for them! For the most part, I love my life and my freedom and I know that God knows what's best for me. Even so, I found this devotion to be a great reminder for me and other singles out there.

Nancy Leigh DeMoss: The apostle Paul says, “Love does not envy.” Elisabeth Elliot has helped us think through what that means. She writes, “If I imagine that I love my neighbor, let me test my love by asking how glad I am that he has managed to acquire what I have long wished to acquire. That he is loved by someone in some way that has never been granted to me.”

This can be especially challenging for singles. Do you ever find yourself jealous of your friends who are getting married? Maybe you’re married, but you’ve never been able to have children. Are you jealous of those who are able to have children?

These are some of the most painful situations a woman can go through. Avoiding envy might seem impossible, but love is from God. The way to avoid jealousy is to be filled up with godly love.

Ask Him to give you His love. The kind that doesn’t envy.

With Seeking Him, I’m Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

2 comments:

Sue said...

There were many years on our infertility journey, Jen that I struggled with jealousy, but finally God healed me of that and allowed me to appreciate the path He's chosen for me instead! It can try & rear it's ugly head every now and then but I try not to let it reign!

Hugs

J-La-Sta said...

Sue, thanks for sharing! Very rarely to I struggle with jealously in this area, but thought it was a great devotion. I will admit that at times I do feel like "when will it be my turn", but overall I'm happy with my life and know that God knows what's best for me!