A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Friend Nicki and Her Mom

Nicki lived across the hall from me my Freshman year of College. She was always smiling and fun to be with. She and Mike were married November of 1997. March 27, 1999 they went house hunting. While driving home to their apartment from house hunting, they were in a car crash in Germantown, WI on I-45 and their SUV rolled over. Instead of finding an earthly home, they both found their eternal home with Jesus that night. I attended Mike (age 23) & Nicki's (age 24) double funeral on March 30th of 1999, in Fond Du Lac, WI. In some ways I think that funeral somewhat prepared me to accept the loss of my father later that same year (December 8th, 1999). Death is an unfortunate part of life. The older I get, the more tragedies I see. I suppose this is only natural.

I often think of Nicki and my friend Leah (who also went to College with us and who's funeral was on December 8th, 2006), and others who have passed on before me. Funerals like these have marked me for life. All funerals mark me, but some more than others. God's ways are best, even when we have questions.

Well, today I received an email from my College with the Subject of "Prayer Request". This email was sent out to the Wisconsin Lutheran College Alumni. Nicki's parents were in a motorcycle accident in Wisconsin on August 17th, 2008. Nicki's Mom immediately was called home to be with Jesus, and to be reunited with her daughter (Nicki). Judith was 57 years old. Carl (57), Nicki's Dad, was taken to Froedert Hospital via flight for life with head injuries. The email did not say exactly how Carl is doing. It sounded like he may still be hospitalized. The email did say that funeral service were being held today (September 2nd) for Judith.

Nicki's older brother is approximately 37/38. Nicki's twin brothers are around 30 years old. Please pray for Carl's recovery, and for Scott, Chad & Brett, and their families as they struggle to come to terms with yet another devastating loss.

I trust that God knows what is best, even when we can't understand why some families suffer loss more than others.

Life is tough, but God is Faithful! =-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a lot of loss for one family. I can't imageine...makes me want to pray for the family - and praise God that my family hasn't had to suffer anything even remotely close to that.