A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Who I am in Christ

Understanding your identity in Christ is absolutely essential for your success at living a victorious Christian life!

Dr. Neil T. Anderson


God is doing AMAZING things in my life this week! My friend and roommate Alaina has been suggesting for a few months now that I meet with her Pastor to talk about filling my mind with the truth. You see, I knew I was telling myself (allowing Satan to tell me) lies and believing them, but I didn't know how to stop that. You see, I wasn't filling my mind with the truth of God's Word enough to combat those lies. In many ways I am a baby Christian. For those of you who have known me for a very long time, I can hear you saying, "What? You have been a Christian your whole life, why are you saying you're a baby Christian?" Well, I say that because it's only been in the past few years that I have started to understand what a "relationship" with Christ is and how important it is in life. Life is not meant to just get through until we get to heaven. In Christ, we can live a victorious and joy-filled life. Because it has only been over the past few years that I have realized this, I am a baby Christian in that I never really "had a relationship" with God. Sure, I went to Church, I prayed, and I know more Bible Verses and more information about doctrine/theology than a lot of people do. For this, I am extremely thankful. I was raised in a God-fearing home and I have all of the tools I need to fight this battlefield of the mind. However, I didn't know who I was in Christ. I didn't let it sink in that God loves me unconditionally, regardless of if I go to Church or not, regardless of if I mess up, regardless of the good things I try (but often fail) to do. The King of heaven and earth wants a relationship with me. He wants me to talk to him throughout my day about anything and everything. He wants me to see him as being approachable. He doesn't want me to look at him like a mean father who has ruler to slap my hand whenever I mess up. He wants me to be free in Him. I think meeting with Pastor A. on Tuesday really instilled these truths into me even more. I don't have to hold on to my past of being afraid of God, but I can move forward and take all of the energy I spend looking back at my past, and use that energy to move into a deep relationship with the one who thought I was worth the death of His Son. I am thankful for Alaina and Pastor A. who introduced me to "Freedom In Christ Ministries" by Dr. Neil T. Anderson. This Ministry shows you Satan's Lies and God's truths. Here are some of them:
Satan's Lie - You are a sinner because you sin.
God's Truth - You are a saint (one declared righteous by God) who sins.
Satan's Lie - Your identity comes from what you have done.
God's Truth - Your identity comes from what God has done for you.
Satan's Lie - Your identity comes from what people say about you.
God's Truth - Your identity comes from what God says about you.
Satan's Lie - Your behavior tells you what to believe about yourself.
God's truth - Your belief about yourself determines your behavior.
Here are some bible verses and truths about who I (we) am (are) in Christ. These are the ones that really hit home and have started to sink into my heart.
Col 2:10 - I am complete in Christ!
Ehp 1:1 - I am a saint!
Jn 1:12 - I am God's Child!
Jn 15:15 - I am Christ's Friend!
Rom 8:1-2 - I am free forever from condemnation!
2 Cor 6:1 - I am God's co-worker!
Eph 3:12 - I may approach God with freedom and confidence!
I Jn 5:18 - I am born of God, the evil one cannot touch me!
I challenge you to look up these Bible Verses. I looked them all up, because when I read some of them, I was like "really?". Seriously check it out! They are in the Bible!

1 comment:

MiMi said...

I read his books many year ago but it is always great to be reminded of who you are in Christ. I enjoy your blog and pray your feet and legs will be well very soon.