A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Sunday, October 12, 2008

I Met Two Very Special People Volunteering Yesterday!

Yesterday I volunteered at 2nd Saturday through my Church. The 2nd Saturday of every month there are additional volunteer opportunities offered. I chose to go on the bus that was headed for MC3 (Monroe Circle Community Center). I met Trenton and his Mom on the bus ride. They were also going to volunteer. Trenton just turned 4 and has a contagious smile. There are a few pics of him below (his Mom said it was ok). I joke that if we put glasses on him, he would look just like the little boy in "Jerry McGuire" who told us that the human head weighs 8 pounds! =-) He did a pretty good job of writing his own name on his name tag! Trenton and his Mom and siblings volunteered with "Son City Kids'. The inner city children come to MC3 for crafts and the volunteers play with them and just give them attention. It is often the highlight of their week, because many of these kids don't get that kind of attention at home.

Here is a picture (immediately below this paragraph) of the Cafe at the Community Center where I volunteered. I socialized with the local people who came in to pick up there box from the food pantry. They can relax and socialize and get free coffee, doughnuts, etc. I told a few people I didn't feel like I was volunteering, since I wasn't cleaning or lifting boxes or doing something strenuous, or other things that I don't like to do. It didn't feel like work to me. They assured me that not everyone has the gift to be able to socialize with strangers and make them feel welcome. That is a spiritual gift I have been given. I think I was so used to volunteering being something you HAD to do out of guilt because it had to be done. That's what I love about my Church! You get to choose where you want to plug in, and you are never made to feel guilty. I'm still working on changing my legalistic thinking. I was serving the Lord talking to these local people, just as much as someone who was cleaning, or delivering food pantry boxes to the disabled.

Here is my new friend Ramona. She gave me permission to take her picture and post it on my blog. Of course, I had to tell her that I have a great friend in Milwaukee who is also named Ramona! :) Ramona is a wonderful woman of God. I could tell Jesus lives in her heart. She is amazing. I think she ended up helping me more than I helped her! We had a great conversation and I hope I get to visit with her again next month or in the near future! She has 4 children, 12 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren! She's looking good isn't she?! :)
When Ramona left she told me she will be expecting an invite to my wedding if I get married someday! :) That won't be happening anytime soon, since I'm not even dating anyone, but I'll remember Ramona if/when that day does come. I had a great time yesterday morning and I'm gonna continue to find things I enjoy and volunteer for them. I'm also gonna continue to work on not feeling guilty when I enjoy what I'm doing. God wants us to like what we do when we serve His Kingdom here on earth! :)

1 comment:

Very Sleepy Girl said...

What a great reminder that serving God can actually be enjoyable! What a gift you truly do have. And Ramona looks like a woman filled with beauty that is radiating from within!