A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Legalism Quote

"I believe that there's a tainted picture of God because of legalism. It takes away the element of His love for us, because people think that He's a set of rules. God loves us, in spite of our mistakes, and I think that we need to stop painting that picture of God, that He's this...Figure that's, you know, that cares whether our hair is cut above our ears, because it's simply not the God that I know, nor the God that I serve. There are far more important issues at hand: where are peoples' hearts, are we loving people the way that God would want us to? Those issues are far more important than the legalistic issues that, at times, certain churches seem to get caught up in."

—Toby McKeehan of dc Talk, Free at Last: The Movie

I agree wholeheartedly with this quote! The negative impact legalism has on our Churches, and more importantly an individuals relationship with God, is an issue that is near and dear to my heart. I will more than likely blog about this issue in the future, but I really liked Toby's quote and wanted to share it with you. I pray that God's unconditional love and acceptance of you will be your motivation, and not fear.

1 comment:

Very Sleepy Girl said...

Amen! I especially like your last sentence!