A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Getting Caught Up on Posting My Sister Debbie's Caring Bridge Updates - June Posts/Surgery Scheduled


Journal entry by Debbie Heiman — Jun 9, 2018

I’m sorry that I haven’t updated Caring Bridge. I did post that we were home on Facebook, but I know everyone isn’t on Facebook.

We were able to come home on Thursday afternoon. Scott remained fever free and transitioned to pill form for all of his medication, as opposed to IV form through his double lumen port. It is always nice to be released from the hospital earlier than expected.

The staph infection seems to be gone or at least significantly better. He only has the shingles now, with no underlying, red, irritated skin. His shingles are beginning to scab over, which is a good sign of healing. Hopefully he will be done with these soon.

I am so thankful that my Mom was able to come and stay with the kids. We were admitted on Monday. My friend Rachel was able to stay with the kids Monday night, which was very helpful! She provided great company for them and brought ice cream for a special treat. My Mom came on Tuesday afternoon and I took her to the train station today to head back home to Indiana.

We are so thankful that my Mom’s cancer is doing better at this point in time. Her recent scan showed that the tumors on her spine shrunk a little bit more. She is on chemo pills right now, and put her radiation on hold to come and help us this week. I’m so thankful for my Mom! There is always so much running around for the kids, and she did it all very well. I’m sure she’s sleeping well tonight!

 I am extremely grateful to everyone who is willing to help with meals for our family. I’ve had people ask if they can provide meals, but felt a little overwhelmed by it all. My friend Tricia set up a mealtrain for our family so that it’s all done online for me. It’s wonderful and so greatly appreciated, so that I can focus my time and energy on Scott and the kids right now.

We celebrated Tyler’s 12th Birthday today. We got him a new bike. We had DQ ice cream cake, and we watched Black Panther. It was a relaxing day and Scott got to be a part of it. Tyler was really happy to have us all was here today.

I want to thank everyone who has reached out by FB messages, calls, texts, cards, and offering their help! I’m so thankful for all of you!!! God Bless you all.

Having said that, it brings me to this passage. The amount of Christian love that is being shown to our family is so greatly appreciated. All of the things that are done to help make my days go smoothly don’t go unnoticed. I hope someday I can repay favors to each and every person who has reached out to our family.

As we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galatians 6:10



Journal entry by Debbie Heiman — Jun 11, 2018

I posted on Facebook about ordering Heimanstrong shirts for anyone who is interested. I’m posting on Caring Bridge for people who aren’t on Facebook or possibly missed the post.

They are $5 each and I will post pictures below of the front and back of the shirts. You can order them in Children’s size XS-XL and adult sizes S-4X. Sizes 2X-4X are $7 each.

I need all orders in by this Thursday night, June 14th. I want to order in time to get shirts for the Sarcoma race on July 14th.

Below is the link to sign up for the race under our Team Heimanstrong. I would love to have the biggest team like we did last year, and flood the crowd with our Heimanstrong shirts and spread the word that God is Stronger than Sarcoma!!! Who will join our family? I would love to have all of you their with us on Saturday morning, July 14th in Oconomowoc, WI. Thank you all in advance for your love and support !

https://runsignup.com/Race/44121/Donate/gSHo2ArW4a0Gf72P#.WvxPIDqUMQ4.facebook


Journal entry by Debbie Heiman — Jun 12, 2018

It is getting real. Stress and anxiety are setting in, and we need to lean on God for our help more than ever. This is Scott’s 2nd major surgery. The first surgery was in New York, and we were away from the kids for 6 weeks. His upcoming surgery is only about 5 weeks away. Yikes!

His first surgery was very difficult in the recovery department. One thing after another went wrong,  including extreme water retention that made him balloon up like nothing I’ve ever seen before, infection in his incision causing him to need a wound vac, and getting C diff, among other things.

Feoedtert called today to finalize all of our appointments.
July 9th - We have a pre-op meeting at 10:15AM with the anesthesiologist to discuss the surgery.
We return that night at 5:30PM for his CT scan.

July 18th - 3:00PM- labs
4:00PM - We have our meeting with the surgeon, Dr. Mogal to discuss details of the surgery.

July 20th - surgery day
5AM arrival for surgery

July 21st - Lexi returns from her week long mission trip to Detroit. Hopefully Scott will be able to have visitors so that he can welcome her home.

We spoke to our oncologist and the surgeon about wanting to do a family vacation this summer, but knowing that with surgery coming up, it may not be possible. They both urged us to go and make memories and said they would help us work out the scheduling.

After that, Scott got shingles and an infection and was hospitalized for 4 days. Plans changed with chemo. Scott is no longer doing a round of chemo before surgery. They know that it will just push him down and not give him time to recover before surgery.

Dr. Charlson still wants us to be able to do our vacation, so Scott will have labs on Thursday and then an appointment with Charlson to be cleared to travel out of the state. We will be camping along the way and being as frugal as possible. Being together is all that really matters to us. We would appreciate prayers for his blood counts to be in a safe range for traveling and for his health while we are gone.

We are trying very hard to be content and joyful in all circumstances.

Better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil. Better a meal with vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred. Proverbs 15:16-17

Godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.  1 Timothy 6:6-8
Pic Taken At Last Years Race to Cure Sarcoma - Milwaukee

No comments: