A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Monday, July 23, 2018

There's No Place Like Home!

Forty Days ago Today we left home for a 3 night Tent Camping Trip at Pokagon State Park in Angola, IN.  We came home early on Father's Day (Sunday, June 17th) so we could get unpacked and Jonathan could relax before returning to work after his long 4 day Weekend.  I walked into the House and into the Kitchen and noticed water everywhere on the floor.  It was pouring out of the Dishwasher.  The Dishwasher was not on when we left, and we did not set it to run while we were gone.  Jonathan opened the Dishwasher and more hot water came gushing out of the Dishwasher.  He shut the water off.  This was a Sunday, so having a Plumber come out would be really expensive.  As we looked around the house, we noticed that the water was everywhere!  The hallway carpeting was slushy, the living room carpeting was slushy, the carpeting in the bedrooms was wet, the Kitchen and Laundry Room and a Bathroom were completely soaked with standing water.  We immediately called the Water Mitigation Company who came and put down 3 fans and a dehumidifier.

Today is day 37 of dealing with this situation.  This house situation is far worse than the Ice Damming situation we went thru in February.  That time we lived with 4 walls down to the studs, but we were only out of our home for 9 nights when it was being restored.  However, back then we felt completely alone.  We didn't feel like we had support (although we did have KFC brought to us and a gift card from Friends was gifted to us, and a neighbor brought over a beautiful yellow plant). Oh, I'm also Thankful for beautiful flowers and a Starbucks Gift Card from a Friend. If I forgot something and didn't mention it here, I apologize, it's been a rough year.  The thing that makes this situation easier to handle is that we have the support of our Small Group at Church.  We joined this Group the end of April of this Year.  One of the Families actually invited us to stay with them for the 2 nights that we had to have our water off (including our dog, Mookie).  Then the man of the house helped Jonathan move the dishwasher to try what the plumbing company suggested.  After we moved home for 2 nights, the first night another couple from our small group had pizza delivered to us!  Then the same couple brought us cookies and contacted 2 Pastors at our Church so we could be added to the meal train.  We are getting 1 meal a week for 6 weeks. While Jonathan was out of Town for Work, my Neighbor Friend treated me to Dinner and we had a lovely Conversation. Our Friend brought us donuts.  The Family we stayed with also had us over for a cookout the Saturday after the flooding was discovered, had us over for 4th of July celebrations and brought Pizza for Dinner when we invited them to come swimming at our pool. We also had other Great Friends invite us for a Lunch Cookout to Celebrate the 4th of July! This past Sunday, Parents of a Friend of ours gifted us with a Gift card for Dinner.  The Support of our Small Group has made this Incredibly difficult situation much easier to bear.  We don't feel completely alone like we did the first time.  We do not feel like we have Family Support.  But, our Small Group has been our Family, and for that we are extremely Grateful.  Without them, we would once again be feeling all alone.  As it is, it's a lonely place to be in.  Many of my Friends have been out of Town and it's been a hard week.  Monday I had just gotten back to Normalcy and then Friday Happened.  Friday my BIL had an 11 hour major surgery in Milwaukee.  As most of you know, he has battled a rare form of Sarcoma since April of 2015. My heart and mind and prayers have been focused on my Sister and BIL

No.  Jonathan and I are not experiencing health issues, and for that we are extremely grateful, but, as with most things, until a person has been thru something, they really don't know much about what it feels like to be in a situation like this.  We have received comments like "Enjoy it!" "It's like a vacation!" "You have a Pool!"  "You have a Workout Room!" "At least you don't have to clean", "Can you imagine how hard it would be if you had children?".  Even my Psych NP told me to enjoy it.  I can assure you that 33 days in a hotel room is not all it's cracked up to be.  I miss our bed.  I miss our comfortable furniture.  I miss our backyard.  I miss our hammock.  I miss our living space.  I miss letting the dog out and not having to go out in the rain with him in the parking lot. I miss the office where I could much more easily run my small business. I could go on and on.  Hotel living wears on a person.  I was even talking to a guy who used to travel a lot for work and he says it wears you down.  He even acknowledged that it's harder for women to not be living in their home.  Some people get it.  Some. Just. Don't.

1.  This is by far, not a vacation.
2.  We don't have a restoration start date.
3.  We have our room reserved here until Sept 7th.
4.  If we are here till Sept 7th (possibly longer), we will have been at this hotel for 79/80 days - Yes. That's our whole Summer.

Those are the facts.  This is our reality.  We have discussed what God has been Teaching us.  Although, I know I have many things to learn thru this situation, I know that if we know someone in a similar situation in the future, we will open up our home to them.  We will support them.  We will let them know we are sorry for what they are going thru.  We will let them know we are thinking of and praying for them. We will send cards.  We will do what we can to help them financially.

Right Now I think God wants me to Abide in Him and Rest in Him. It's out of my control as to when we will get to move back home.  I'm sure I'll be feeling better after my time of the month comes and goes.  It will also help me when Scott is home from the Hospital.  I am setting up an appointment to go see my Counselor, however he doesn't have any openings available till the week of the 6th.  I know I am experiencing some situational depression.  That is to be expected.

Now you know the facts and the feelings.

Now it's time for me to list things I'm grateful for (in no particular order):

1.  My Husband (where would we be in this world without each other, in a world where we both feel so alone?)

2.  Our Dog Mookie (He makes us laugh every day!  He's been such a trooper thru all of this!)

3.  We have the nicest hotel, with the nicest staff.  If we can't be at home, and have to live in a hotel, I'm glad it's this one.

4.  I'm Thankful my BIL had a successful albeit 11 hour Surgery.

5.  I'm Thankful for Friends near and far.

6.  I'm Thankful Jonathan has a job that supports us.

7.  I'm Thankful we got to go camping for our Anniversary with Small Group Friends.

8.  I'm Thankful for our Small Group.

9,  I'm Thankful for my Women's Group at Church.  I know they are praying for me and for us.

10.  I'm Thankful that God loves me even at my lowest, and even when my broken brain tells me lies.

11.  I'm Thankful that Heaven is my Final Home.

12.  I'm Thankful we have Insurance.  We could not afford to stay at this hotel for this long.

See, I can be Thankful, but I still want to go home.  In time, that will happen, just on God's timetable, and not mine.  Until then, I will continue to be a light to those I meet here at the Residence Inn by Marriott.


No comments: