A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Update: Wow. Just. Wow. Many Prayers Still Needed!

I can't imagine all of the emotions my Sister is going thru right now, and the physical pain that Scott is in.  Please continue to pray for Scott, Debbie, and Their 4 Children! :-)




Day one post surgery

Journal entry by Debbie Heiman — 13 minutes ago
I think that I was unclear with my last Caring Bridge post. When I posted last, Scott still had about 4 hours left for his surgery. 

When I left last night to run home and see Myles and Hannah, before Scott got out of recovery, the key wouldn’t turn in the ignition of Scott’s Honda. Lexi is on her mission trip, coming home this evening, and Tyler was at a birthday party sleepover. I wanted to see them quickly and reassure them that everything was ok. I went up to the familiar floor that he is usually inpatient (7CFAC) to ask for a security guard to come help me. The security guard went back to the parking garage with me and couldn’t get the key to turn either. He said he was sorry. I sat back down in the car, feeling helpless.

The reason I’m telling you this story is because of the outcome. That is coming...  It may seem like a small hurdle, but after 2 hours of sleep the night before your husband’s 11 hour surgery, and desperately wanting to hug your sad 8 year old, it about set me off.

I sat in the driver’s seat and said a quick prayer, “Dear Lord, please help me start this car so that I can get home to see the kids and get back to Scott quickly.” I closed my eyes and tried once more. The key turned and it started. I praised God and was so thankful for answered prayers! 

The point I am getting at is that there is nothing too big or small that we can’t request of our Father in Heaven. He has answered so many small prayers for me lately, and yesterday, he answered a HUGE  prayer! He brought Scott out of a successful surgery with no complications whatsoever. How Great is our God??? I can’t even put it into words. I’m speechless, and that doesn’t happen often.

The total surgery itself ended up being just shy of 11 hours! The team of Dr.’s came in this morning and went over the surgery and how well everything went! They were pleased with the fact that there wasn’t more unknown cancer found, which is always a possibility. His vitals remained stable for the entire surgery, which is such a blessing!

Last night and today so far have been a little rough for Scott. I am thankful when he is sleeping, because the pain and irritation of the NG tube is enough to make him go completely crazy. The nurses and everyone taking care of him are doing everything in their power to help him be comfortable. The NG tube can’t be removed until his bowels wake up from surgery. That could be another day- 3 days. I’m praying hard for tomorrow! 

As hard as it was to see him struggle, I’m happy to say that this Champion Cancer fighter got up and walked to the chair with a walker and the help of a nurse and PT. He sat in the chair and mostly slept for about 45 minutes. He’s back in the bed and completely worn out!

Scott has a long road to recovery ahead of him! We pray that he can go home in 10 days if it is God’s will. The surgeon said his full recovery will be right around 3 months. I pray that he is blessed with a full recovery and that no complications arise along the way. 

Psalm 30:12
O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.

No comments: