A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Have You Met My Dad?

If you have known me less than 15 years, you for sure have not met my Dad.   His name was Herbert William Latzke.  He was born on November 3rd, 1940 and passed away on December 8th, 1999.   Heaven has been his home since December 8th, 1999.  I can't believe it's already been 15 years of memories that we have made without him!  I was at a joint Memorial Service today for my Friend's Dad and Stepmom who passed away 9 days apart from each other.  Her Stepmom's Niece told us about her Stepmom, and a Friend of her Dad's told us about her Dad.  This gave me the idea, that rather than focusing on my loss tomorrow, I would write a blog post telling you all about my Dad.  I want to focus on his 59 years of life, rather than on my loss.  So, I will tell you things about my Dad to give you a glimpse into his life.

  • He was his parent's 2nd born child.  He had an older brother, 2 younger brothers, and a younger Sister (all of whom are still living).

  • He was born in Eagle River, WI.

  • He grew up in Elkhart/Edwardsburg.  His Dad worked for Studebaker and owned an Avanti.

  • He was 31 years old when he Married my Mom.

  • He had 3 Daughters (I am the oldest).


  • My Mom had a half hour labor with me and Dad had to deliver me at home.  I was almost born on the toilet.  They called him Dr. Latzke for like 3 years!

  • He worked as a Realtor for many years in the 80's while I was growing up, but left that Industry due to the economy and needing a steady paycheck to provide for his family.

  • He was working for Reese Products in Elkhart, IN when he passed away.  He had worked there for 9-10 years.

  • He had an incredibly strong work ethic.  He worked very hard to provide for us.

  • He loved God and had the best of intentions.

  • He did not like change (hmm...wonder where I got that from?).  Every Sunday we had to sit in the 3rd pew on the Left side of the Church.  He was pretty territorial about this.

  • He was a deep and analytical thinker, much like myself.  No one else in my Family thinks like I do, but he did!

  • He was a strict German Lutheran.  The Old Red Hymnal was like God's Inspired Word to him, and if it changed it was the end of the World. Let's not even talk about the NIV version of the Bible!  He was King James all the way and the NIV was the worst thing ever!  Can you see a theme here about not liking change? :-)

  • He called me Jen Jen.  I don't allow anyone else to call me this, not even Jonathan.  It hurts too much.  I once had someone call me this over and over, even after I asked him to stop.  Yeah, I don't talk to this person anymore. :-)


  • He worried a lot.


  • He frequently recited "This is the day that the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it!".  Oh did I hate it when he would say that, but now it's one of my best memories of him.


  • He was mechanical and fixed all of our cars.  Taking them to a garage to be fixed was not an option, even when I lived 200 miles away.


  • He and Mom sacrificed a lot to send us to private Christian Grade School/High School.

  • Deep down, he was a softie.  He got teary eyed quite often while watching TV.

  • He owned a 1951 Kaiser when I was a little kid.

  • He had a silly sense of humor.  He thought it was funny to say "Hey Jen, Where's Ben?".  Had I known a Ben, I would have told him where Ben was! LOL :-)

  • He pulled me and one of my Sister's on a sled down State Road 23 to go to Martins for groceries during the blizzard of 1978.  Mom was pregnant with girl number 3 at the time.


  • He didn't have the best singing voice, but he sure belted it out while singing at Church, singing praises to our God.   He didn't care what others thought. 


  • He loved being a Grandpa to Trey.  Trey was 5 when Dad passed away.


  • He got to walk 1 of his 3 daughters down the aisle at her Wedding (the middle Sister, Pam).


  • He looked the most like his Brother Bill.  I always say if people want to know what Dad would look like now if he were still alive, just look at his Brother Bill!


  • He had Lupus and learned to take life one day at a time while in the hospital, before he passed away.

  • He frequently said "Jennifer, Pam, & Debbie" when trying to address just one of us girls. 

  • His Favorite Bible Verses were Proverbs 3:5-6:  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him,  and he will direct your paths.


So there you have it, a glimpse into the Man that I call my Dad!  He is never forgotten and always loved.  Happy 15th Anniversary of your entrance into Heaven, Dad!  I've grown up lots since you left, but I'm Happy and I'm so Blessed to have an Amazing Husband!  I love you!  See you soon!



~Jen Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jen, thank you for this post!! I loved reading about your dad. What a great way to remember him by , I'm gonna steal this for my mom. -Katie Kunz