A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Words Have Power

This past Wednesday I had my second Mammogram. I had my first one at age 30 because of my Mom's history with breast cancer. They really aren't that bad. It's just uncomfortable. But, it's quick and it saves lives! My Mom has battled cancer off and on for over 9 years. She was first diagnosed with breast Cancer in February of 2000. She is a fighter! :) Anyways, Thursday I received a Voice Mail message from my Dr.'s office informing me my Mammogram results were back and that I should call them as soon as possible. Now what would the normal person deduct from hearing those "as soon as possible" words? I was anxious for over an hour and a half. I called them back and the office was closed for lunch. I called my Mom and even she said, they might see something and want you to have another Mammogram. Maybe they did it wrong the first time. I finally was able to get a hold of them. I did not speak with the person who left the VM Message. I was told everything was fine and that I should come back next year. Phew!

I told the lady that had I received a message that said my results were in and I could call them back at my convenience, I wouldn't have reacted the way that I did. Was it really necessary to leave that VM Message for me to say "call as soon as possible". That would be a negative! Did it put things in to perspective for me in regards to my swollen ankles? Absolutely! My Mom's strength in dealing with these phone calls on a regular basis, absolutely amazes me.

Ladies, if you are 30-35 and your Mom or sister has a history of breast cancer, please get a Mammogram ASAP if you haven't. If you are 40 or older and have no history of breast cancer, please get a Mammogram ASAP, it could save your life! :)






No comments: