A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Joys of Aunthood




Is Aunthood a word? Well it is now! :) I love being an Aunt! It's like having the best of both worlds. I can love my nieces & nephews, be a Christian role model for them, play with them, spoil them, be someone they adore to pieces, and then I can go home and get a full night's sleep! :) Trey was my first nephew & first Godson. Wow did I ever spoil him! I got to see him on Mother's Day and he is doing great! It broke my heart when he had to have open heart surgery. It was really tough seeing him in ICU and I'm not even his parent! I praise God that he has fully recovered. Life truly is precious! Trey (13) is pictured below with his Mom (my Sister Pam). This picture was taken at Whirlpool where Pam works. It was "Take Your Child To Work Day"!

Now that I'm 3 1/2+ hours away from the little ones in Milwaukee, I don't get to see them as often. Lexi (in the first pic up above with her sister) is 5 1/2, Hannah Lynn (my Goddaughter who was given my middle name, and is in the picture below with me) is 3 1/2, and Tyler (pictured up above) will be 2 on June 8th. When I lived in Milwaukee, I saw them approx once a week/once ever two weeks. The great thing about not seeing them as often, is they are all the more excited for "Aunt Jenny" to arrive at their house! I really miss them, but I've also realized that I was in a way using them to make myself feel better when I was down, rather then dealing with the issues I needed to deal with. Yes, children are a source of Joy, and a true gift from God, but I think at times I was trying to get my worth from them/feel better about myself because they "approved" of me and loved me. It does and should add Joy to my life that I have nieces & nephews who love me! However, children shouldn't be made to feel responsible for the happiness of the adults around them. Actually, as I've learned from my Boundaries class, no one should be made to feel responsible for the happiness of those around them. Each person is responsible for his/her own feelings. Anyways, I don't think I would've realized I was doing this had I never moved away from them. In a way I was forced to deal with my issues because I couldn't just rush over to my sister's house to see the kids whenever I was having a bad day. Now my visits with them will be all about them, not about ME! Am I making any sense? Now the times I do get to spend with them are all the more precious. I love kids! Only God knows what the future holds for me, but if I never become a Mom, the Joys of Aunthood will be enough for me! :)

2 comments:

TMI Queen said...

Only about 3 weeks left til I become an aunt and I can't wait!

Very Sleepy Girl said...

Aww, great post! And cute kids!