A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Friday, June 3, 2016

My BIL's Surgery Today in NYC

I wanted to post an update, so that my Friends without a Caring Bridge Account could read my Sister's updates from Today.  I know some of you have asked, so here are her updates through out the day.


1st Update

The nurse came to tell us that surgery started at 11:10AM NY time. All we know is that surgery is just getting started. 

Anesthesia is working well, and his vitals are all good. Nothing else to report at this time.

The next update will be around 2PM NY time. I'll keep you all posted. 

All of the posts, texts, and pictures are keeping me going! Thanks for the overwhelming amounts of love!!!


2nd Update

Scott has been in surgery for 3 1/2 hours. We just got an update. 

So far, Dr. LaQuaglia has removed his spleen, two masses from his abdomen, and his omentum (a covering of the organs).

The nurse liaison said that Dr. LaQuaglia never gives an estimated time that he will finish. He just takes his time and does it right. I feel very confident in his abilities! God is in control after all.

I can't believe that we've been here 8 1/2 hours already. It will be a VERY long day!!!

Thanks for the continued prayers as the surgeon and his team do their job. Love from New York!


3rd Update - 5 1/2 Hours Into Surgery
We just received another update. It was VERY vague. Things are going well. He has moved into Scott's upper abdominal area. 3 specimens were removed from around his colon. The surgeon is continuing to work.

FB Update

I'll post a CB later. Wanted everyone to know surgery was done in 7 hours. All is well.


Out of Surgery

I haven't been able to see Scott yet. I'm anxiously waiting to be by his side. They said it would be around 8PM, and it's 8:10 right now. A nurse just came to tell me that I will only be allowed to see him for 5 minutes. I will not be able to stay with him. I'm not happy about that at all, but I understand their reasoning. It just really stinks! When I see him, he won't be awake. The pain meds are making him sleep, which is good.

In addition to my previous updates, we found out that they took a piece of his pancreas that had a tumor connected to it.

Dr. LaQuaglia said that it's not necessary to do stem cell harvesting anymore, since he didn't qualify for the 8H9 immunotherapy trial in NY. That's one step to check off our list.

Dr. LaQuaglia feels as if he was able to remove all of the tumors in his peritoneum. He did not touch the liver.

He will recover in the hospital for about a week. I know he'll do his best to get out sooner than that. It wouldn't shock me if he set a record! This man is determined to get home ASAP! I'm more than ready as well!

When we return to Milwaukee, we will start FAR (full abdominal radiation). 

That's all I know for now. Keep up the prayers for a quick recovery!

Thank you for your continued prayers!  Debbie and Scott have now been away from their kids for over 2 weeks.  Please pray for a quick recovery, so that they can get back home to be with their Family.  I will keep you posted as I know more.


No comments: