A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Debbie's 3/23/2017 Post with Updates on Scott

Scott's month long break


                         
Journal entry by Debbie Heiman
It's been 3 weeks since I posted, so I wanted to get everyone up to date on Scott's status. He finished chemo on March 9th, and had his Neulasta shot on March 10. He hasn't had to set foot in a hospital or go to any appointments for almost 2 weeks, and won't have to until his CT scan on April 10th.

The week after chemo was rough, with a lot of stomach issues. Nothing he ate seemed to agree with him, and that is very frustrating. He would get hungry, but didn't want to eat because of what it did to his stomach. Thankfully, he's been feeling much better this week. I'm just so happy that he has remained fever free once again and avoided a hospital visit.

Through chemo week and everything else, Scott has continued to work full time. Most weeks, he's even putting in a bunch of overtime! It's incredible that he is able to have enough energy to work that much. He is an inspiration to me!

On April 1st, we will be attending a Sarcoma event at Milwaukee County Zoo. I will be on a question/answer panel for caregivers and talk for 5 minutes about being a caregiver to my spouse. I am extremely honored to be chosen for this position. When I was called by one of Scott's nurses and asked to speak, I asked if it would be ok to talk about my faith. I told her that if they want me to speak about how I've handled everything in the past 2 years, I would have to talk about my faith. Otherwise the answer would have been NO. Thankfully, she said it would be fine. I can't begin to tell you how God has carried us through some really rough days! Without him in our lives, I can guarantee we would not be doing as well as we are. 

The next big date is April 5th, when Scott and his friend Matt fly to Georgia for the Masters (golf-in case you don't know). They will be staying with Matt's in-laws. It was so nice of them to let Matt and Scott stay there! They will have a great time, and I'm so happy for him! He deserves a break from everything! 

On April 10th, 2 days after his return, he will have his CT scan. We meet with Dr. Charlson on April 13th to get results. Those days of waiting will be hard, but we will be doing a lot of praying to get us through.

Looking ahead- I know that this is almost 4 months away, but I just found out about this Race for Sarcoma. It is being held on July 16th in Oconomowoc, WI. It is a 5K, which is 3.11 miles. You can choose to walk or run. I want to get a huge team together to show Scott how many people are on his side, praying for him during his fight against DSRCT. The link below will take you to a page to sign up for this race. It's already marked Team Heimanstrong when you fill out your information. We will be wearing our yellow Heimanstrong shirts, so that we will stick out. I love that we can also share our faith while wearing them. The front has a cross that says Stronger than Sarcoma and the back has Scott's chosen passage - Psalm 62:5-6 Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. 

Scott knew that was his fighting passage when he opened the Bible right to it when he was in a very dark place. Not only had he been told that he had DSRCT, but this was 5 days later when he was in a hospital bed waiting for his heart to slow down from 200 beats per minute when his atrial fibrillation had gone out of wack. He finally had to have cardio version. We're so thankful that the procedure worked! 

If you sign up to race and don't have a yellow shirt, but would like one, I will be placing an order. I believe I can purchase them for $5 a shirt if I get an order of 10-15 or more. You can text me with shirt sizes.  (ask Jen or Debbie for Debbie's phone # and/or email address). Also feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

When you click on the link below, you can click on the menu button on the sign up page for more details about the race and the money that is being raised for Sarcoma research. Our family is also raising money for Sarcoma research. On the race page, you also have an option to donate. If you choose to do so, please make sure it is under Team Heimanstrong. We appreciate any/all support that you are able to give. Sarcoma research is very close to our hearts!

Here is the link to the race page:


What we will do for now is enjoy our time until April 13th. Once we get results from his scan, we will decide what the next step in his treatment will be. Our prayer is that he has remained stable, meaning there are no tumors anywhere except for in his liver. Hopefully the tumors in his liver have decreased in size as well! Whatever we are told on April 13th is all part of God's grand plan for our lives. We trust him fully! 

Much love from our family to yours! 💜

No comments: