A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Thursday, August 9, 2018

August 6th Caring Bridge Updates Re: Scott

Journal entry by Debbie Heiman — Aug 6, 2018
Scott remained stable all night. His blood pressure is “a little soft” as they keep saying. It has been hanging around 88/50. His heart rate is perfect around 78, and his oxygen level is 99 or 100. These are all good signs.

Some early blood cultures are coming back that showed infection, possibly sepsis, that was in the hemotoma. He has remained fever free since that was all removed. 

The surgical team came around at 5:50AM and told us that his hemoglobin is low. He’ll be getting a blood transfusion later today. His potassium is low again and he’s receiving IV potassium. 

We are praying for NG tube removal and getting out of ICU to go back to 8NT where we were just a little over 2 weeks ago. Hopefully those 2 things will happen today or tomorrow. I’ll update when we know more.
Journal entry by Debbie Heiman — Aug 6, 2018
Today has been a pretty quiet day in the ICU, which is a very good thing! Scott has remained fever free. His blood pressure is great at 111/66 currently. 

The nurse and physical therapist helped him get to a chair to sit for a couple hours today. He hasn’t walked yet, but that will come soon.

His hemoglobin was low this morning, so he got a blood transfusion today. He is on 3 very strong antibiotics to make sure all infection is gone and stays away. They started TPN tonight which is 24/7 nutrition. They wanted to place a PICC line to give him the TPA. I asked nicely if there was ANY other way to give it to him. They said they didn’t want to give it through his port due to risk of infection. They are thinking that he will only need it for a couple of days, so it was approved to go through his port. I am so thankful that I asked and that they didn’t need to place a PICC line. His PICC line 3 years ago was a living nightmare. He was extremely relieved to not go through that horrible ordeal again, and I told him that I’ve got his back. I will always be his advocate, and that is why I never want to leave his side. I’m his voice.

Our prayer is to get out of the ICU tomorrow. He will be moved to another room, hopefully on 8NT where he was 2 1/2 weeks ago. The nurses are great on 8NT. They will probably be surprised to see us back. I’m surprised too.

Show me your ways, O Lord, 
teach me your paths;
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long. 
Psalm 25:4-5

No comments: