A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Debbie's (My Sister) November & December Caring Bridge Updates on Scott

Journal entry by Debbie Heiman — 11/10/2017


I have to say that this continued break in treatment has been so nice!  I realized that I haven't updated since September 22. So much has happened during that time, but not much healthwise for Scott thankfully!

 Since I last updated about Lexi, she was hit in the face with a volleyball a second time. It happened on October 4th, the day that she was to be cleared to play again. She has been visiting a concussion clinic ever since, and was even a part of a trial study for children who have had concussions and are suffering long term affects. Hopefully it will help other children who have suffered concussions. She sees a physical therapist, who is trying to help her with some neck pain and headaches.  She has still not been cleared, but we hope that with all of the therapy she will be cleared soon. 

 On October 15, I threw a surprise 40th birthday party for Scott. He had no idea it was coming, and it was truly an amazing day! He deserves that and so much more! He is truly a remarkable man.  He is not always completely honest about how he is feeling, but I  can you read him pretty well,  and I truly believe that he has been feeling good. 

 We are trying to live in the moment, and not think about the scan in January. That is not always an easy task, but more and more days go by that I don't even think about his cancer. That is a blessing that I can't even begin to explain! 

 Scott received some amazing gifts for his birthday, including tickets to a Packer game this Sunday at Soldier Field, and a gift card to the Signature Room in Chicago. It is my first Packer game ever! I'm praying that the forecast for rain is wrong.

Scott and I will be leaving tonight to head to Chicago for the weekend. I am so excited! We think that we will spend Saturday at the aquarium in Chicago. This should be quite a memorable weekend for us, and I'm so blessed to be spending this time with him!

My Mom has been in constant treatment, and continues to battle with pain. She is strong and pushes herself daily, however, even going to workout daily. She is truly an inspiration!

I have a prayer request for my Aunt Sharon. She lives in Elkhart, IN with my Uncle Bill. This past Sunday, at a Reformation service, she went into cardiac arrest and needed to be revived. We are all so thankful that by the Grace of God, her life was spared. Everyone at the church acted quickly and calmly from what I hear. She is still hospitalized and waiting to have another procedure. My Mom has relayed positive news to me about her improvements. Please pray with our family for a full recovery! We love you Aunt Sharon!!!

I will try to keep this page updated more often for those who look for updates. I appreciate continued prayers for Scott, Lexi, my Mom and Aunt Sharon! Prayers is so powerful, as we've witnessed in our 2 1/2 year battle. God grant us the strength to keep fighting and NEVER give up!

Love to all from the Heimans 💛


Journal entry by Debbie Heiman — 12/8/2017
18 years ago today, my Dad was called home to heaven. It saddens me to think of everything that he has missed in my life, since I was a 21 year old college student at the time. It was exam week, and I was a senior heading into my semester of student teaching. Those were rough times, but I got through it. 

I hope that my Dad would be proud of the wife, mother and now caregiver that I have become! I want to make my Dad proud and live my life to God's glory. I know that's what my Dad would want for all of us! He was such a faithful man, and would be proud of the faithful leadership that Scott has in our family.

Scott has been fighting for 2 years and 8 months already. We are currently in a pretty good place. We're enjoying our time together and loving the treatment free days. His hours at work have slowed down, but he's still going to work every day. It's so awesome to have him home early every day though! The kid's moods have been so much better with him being home more. I love it! It really makes me much happier too!

We pray that the good days can continue. We will find out a month from today when Scott has his PET scan. We will get the results on January 10th.

Scott has been so amazing with the kids! He's definitely enjoying them as they get older and he can joke around with them and they can laugh together. It truly warms my heart to see him interact with them. Sometimes I wish I was the fun parent, but I'll let him savor in the  glory. 😉 

It's hard to believe that he has cancer most days. He looks so healthy and strong. He never skips a beat! The fact that his liver has had so much cancer in it for over 2 1/2 years, yet is functioning so well, is truly a miracle in my opinion. It's nothing short of God's amazing Grace! HE is so good to us!

We will be spending a lot of quality family time together over the Christmas break. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to spend this time together. I pray for safe travels with all of the driving that we'll be doing to IN, MI, and MN. It will be great to see so much family.

I may not post again until January. If that's the case, we wish you all a Blessed Christmas, pray for safe travels wherever you may be going, and much love to all!



No comments: