A Work In Progress

A Work In Progress

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Debbie's Update Today Regarding Scott's Recovery



Here is Debbie's Caring Bridge Post from about 7 hours ago.  (I know since Caring Bridge has changed their privacy settings it's been hard for some of you to get in to the Caring Bridge Page.  I've been told by a Friend that she has a Caring Bridge Site and still had to use the Heiman6 Password.)


     I saw Scott last night around 9PM. It was a quick visit, and he could barely keep his eyes open. My Mom and I went back to the Ronald McDonald House to get some sleep.

We came back this morning around 9AM. When I first saw him, he wasn't talking because his throat hurt so much. He just whispered everything. 

His nurse said that they would move him to ICU today. However, when his surgeon Dr. LaQuaglia came in, he said he would move to the pediatric floor today. That was exciting news! I will be able to stay with him here. He got moved into his room around 1:45PM. 

The Dr. removed his NG tube. He felt a lot of relief after that came out. 
His mouth is extremely dry! He's had nothing to eat or drink since Thursday. He hopes to be able to have something tomorrow. They said not today though.

His pain is being managed pretty well. He is very tired and sleeps off and on. He is still on oxygen, because his oxygen levels drop when he dozes off to sleep. Hopefully he'll be off of his oxygen tomorrow.

I'm so proud of him for fighting so hard! I'm not at all surprised by how well he is doing less than 24 hours after such a major surgery though! It was 7 hours long, and I heard that Dr. LaQuaglia worked hard that whole time! He's an amazing surgeon, and we're so blessed to have him as Scott's surgeon.

I'm hoping that Scott feels a little bit better later today and can get up and walk. Dr. LaQuaglia wants him to start moving. I'm not in a hurry to push him though. He knows his limits and will definitely push himself when he's ready. After all, he always has been a fighter!!! I just love this guy so much, and realize every day what a lucky woman I am to have him in my life!

It was the sweetest thing when I first saw him this morning! He whispered, "I want to see my kids now!" Gary and Karen, you can let them know he thought of them first thing this morning! 💜 We sure do miss them more than words can express!

I'm thankful that my Mom is here with me. It was nice to not be alone, especially all day yesterday! I know my sister Jenny really wanted to be here for surgery. Scott's counts just didn't allow for that to happen. Thanks for coming to New York for us! It really meant a lot!

Thanks to everyone for your texts, FB posts, CB posts, and prayers yesterday. The time flew by, thanks to the nonstop encouragement that was sent our way. All of these things brought a big smile to my face throughout the day, and kept my mind off of what was happening to Scott. We have such amazing friends and family! We love you all!


This is Jen writing:  We praise God for a successful surgery.  Many prayers are still needed for his recovery, as this was a pretty major surgery and he is in a lot of pain, as you can imagine.  Thanks for following up to see how Scott is doing! :-)



No comments: